Tabor Evangelical Lutheran Church was formed on January 14, 1892 under the name of The Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Tabor Church of Pueblo, Colorado. Later in 1892, the first unit of church property was built. The church was constructed of native stone with a tower and bell. In 1902 the church built an addition, which became the sanctuary.
In 1922, Tabor celebrated its 30th anniversary. The membership grew from 26 to 140. On January 22, 1922, a motion was made and carried to drop “Swedish” from the name of the church and make English the official language.
In 1947, Tabor merged with St. Mark’s English Lutheran Church. Tabor acquired the property of St. Mark’s and moved to that location for worship in 1947.
On May 11, 1952, construction began on Tabor’s current location. Many Tabor members helped in the construction process, from stone laying to painting. Anyone willing to help was given a job to do. The church was completed and dedicated on July 19, 1953. The new building was a renaissance style structure of red brick exterior and red tile roof. A thirty-six foot tower stands at the main entrance. There are fourteen 36-inch chandeliers finished with Swedish steel in the sanctuary. The altar was eight feet long, constructed of flagstone and white Vermont marble topped in a natural oak finish. In 1992, the present chancel was constructed.